He Awa Ora, He Tai Ora, Healthy Rivers, Living Sea Education Trust is a registered charitable trust whose goal is the protection and conservation of our freshwater and marine resources for the benefit of all people and future generations. A key focus of the Trust is broad community participation in the programs developed to achieve this goal.
The Trust is the provider for our education programs including; He Tai Ora Living Sea, He Awa Ora Healthy Rivers and our Health and Safety River program. When delivering these programs we aim to broaden community participation including students, whanau, hapu, iwi, land owners, local residents and all members of our community who are interested in working towards common goals and improving community well being.
In achieving the protection and conservation of our freshwater and marine resources, the Trust is committed to:
- Ensuring that all members of society have access to a experience of, and understanding about, our freshwater and coastal environments.
- Establishing an integrated and holistic approach that links science with a cultural and spiritual understanding of the natural world.
- Reflect the interconnectedness of land use practice with freshwater and coastal ecosystems.
- Improve the understanding, appreciation and management of our freshwater and coastal environments through research, education and project development.
- Improve the relationships within our communtiy, working alongside one another and connecting people from different backgrounds who aim to achieve similar goals and aspirations.
- Improve the well being of community members that enhance physical, mental and spiritual components through hands on outdoor education projects.